Recently I have started working with seniors helping them get benefits in order to provide better housing and living arrangements. They have taught me many lesson overs the years but working with them on a day to day basis has changed my life and encouraged me to see the world from a different perspective. Time, that trickster, makes you think you have all the time in the world but you really don’t. Time sneaks up on you like a thief in the night. Working with the aging population has been like a mirror, a future mirror that is. It has also been a reality check. I never really thought about the aging population until I started working with them.
1. Things I had never considered was the fact that you need assistance and family are not always there to help you.
2. Children grow up and have their own lives, and most often, are not there to help with mom or dad and their necessity. Many show up when it is too late and the aging senior is already in some type of trouble.
3. Health gets worse and so do the health expenses.
4. Living on a fixed income makes everything more challenge since health expenses go up and many other prices.
5. It is much harder to get around since you are not as fast as you were in the younger years.
6. I am sure there are more reasons why I am more aware of the aging life that is approaching than I was before but there is one reason that I believe can be the most challenging. That is the fact that many seniors have so much knowledge yet their bodies cannot respond as fast as their mind does and can be quite an obstacle when they are so used to doing tasks independently. I have seen many struggle with this and, in some cases, become depressed due to this frustration.
Overall, helping the aging population is one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. I love working with seniors because they are often so real, knowledgeable and appreciative. Obviously not everyone, but even the grumpy ones need some love. One day I will become a senior and I hope to meet people who want to help a future senior out!